In the days prior to Facebook we had Bullbreeds Online. Before that Yahoo groups. Prior to that there was Compuserve chat rooms. Even before that, before the internet, people actually called on the telephone to speak to one another. The phones usually were attached to walls or at least a base unit was. Those who did rescue could have ‘telephone tree’ calls to arrange assistance to the dogs, the breeders, the owners. People actually SPOKE, in real works, out loud or sometimes even in person. HORRORS! You mean people actually looked one another in the eye and had conversations? Yes, my young readers. This is how it was ‘in the old days’ before FB.
When you have to look a person in the eye to speak it makes it more difficult to tell lies. Don’t get me wrong – there are those who are especially talented in this area who can still do this. Well seasoned at bending the truth, some people can make the world sound like just about anything they desire. Sometimes people lie for the sport of lying and sometimes they are ashamed of their actions and guilt makes them lie. Sometimes they feel no shame, and lie because its what they feel is expected of them. Lies simply flow easily out of their mouths any time they speak.
In dogs, here is the problem with being dishonest. There is always somebody paying attention who knows you are not truthful. Today’s blog entry is about breeders who routinely tell lies and think they get away with it. I want to begin by telling you that I have never in my life been associated with so many wonderful people who are passionate about a hobby they spend 24/7 living/breathing/enjoying. In contrast to that, I also have never met so many cold hearted fake egotistical sociopaths either. How can these opposing groups continue in harmony doing the same hobby? Well, my theory is that many of the passionate happy positive people aren’t aware of the other type – mainly because why would you seek that out? Sometimes it is best/easier to ignore those miserable, cold hearted, selfish, controlling, shit stirrers. Sometimes that’s all you can do. Today I am blogging because I am sick to death of those types and I feel strongly they are why breeders and dog show folk have such a negative reputation with the rest of the population and also why the few doing purebreed rescue get so burned out and disgusted. The loudest people get the attention. The angry loud few are what people remember most. And on top of that, when a person who normally is NOT like that gets fed up and becomes angry, loud and attention seeking – that’s what they will be remembered for as well. Thats a shame. What should be remembered – what SHOULD be spoken about are the others – those who ruin it for everyone. It’s those people who make us ALL look bad. I can totally understand why so many people, especially in rescue, HATE breeders. I get that!
Here is what I know as someone who has been devoted to the Staffordshire Bull Terrier in both rescue, re-home, fundraising, volunteer work, breeding, mentoring and educating – people tell me things. I listen. Now I will speak.
- I know of a breeder who left a dog she bred knowingly in a kill shelter.
- I know of a breeder who has had dogs they bred returned to them and chose to euthanized rather than take the time to train/socialize/rehome the dogs.
- I know of a breeder who euthanized a dog that was returned and then lied and told people it was placed in a wonderful home.
- I know of this same breeder who has done this routinely.
- I know of breeders who import so many dogs then sell them on like one might buy shoes.
- I know of breeders who are pyramid sales type breeders – you buy a puppy and sign a contract stating the Stafford must be shown (maybe even by them, maybe for a handling fee), bred from and puppies given back to the breeder and that then you must carry on in the same manner…and on and on and on.
- I know of breeders who would just as well breed on the 1st heat just as easily as taking 7 litters from a bitch.
- I know of breeders whose dogs live in kennel runs on abandoned properties not where anyone lives and the dogs are visited once daily for a scoop of kibble and some water.
- I know breeders who routinely keep non refundable deposits no matter why the puppy didn’t go to that home – even when its the breeder who turns the buyers down.
- I know a breeder who makes their buyers use their stud dogs and charge the stud fees anyway.
- I know a breeder who charged the breeder of their stud dog a stud fee even after being given free Staffords from the same breeder in the past.
- I know breeders who lie about health testing.
- I know breeders who lie about puppy enrichment protocols they claim to use but don’t.
- I know breeders who care more about ribbons, specialty wins or how many champions they have bred than they care about the lives those dogs lead.
- I know breeders who think they are the center of the universe and that all others are below them and must respect anything they say no matter how absurd their words are.
- Sadly, I also know breeders who are hoarders and get in over their heads and cannot find a way out but are not able to ask for help.
- I know breeders who lack so much confidence that they need a pat on the back for anything they say or do in order to feel okay and accepted.
- I know breeders who collect semen like some collect coupons.
- I know breeders who collect dogs like some collect coupons.
- I know breeders who pay their bills by selling puppies but wouldn’t ever admit that they need the money and the puppies are how they earn it.
- I know breeders whose actual self worth is based upon dog show wins.
- I know breeders whose puppies are born and raised in stalls or basements, mostly unattended.
- I know some breeders who may read this list and not see themselves on it.
I know a lot of things and I also know that for the most part, nobody really cares. Knowing all these things makes me sad if I think about them. In today’s world of having all your ‘friends’ made by a click of a button on FB, telling lies seems to be much easier. After all, who would ever know?